Monochrome LCD to Color TFT LCD
Upgrade Monochrome LCD to Color TFT LCD
As applications become dynamic with added features, a lot of product managers feel the need to upgrade their monochrome displays to color TFT displays. This not only gives a premium feel to the product but allows more information to be displayed for users.
Although upgrading monochrome displays to color TFT displays seems like an obvious choice, still, hardware engineers are always reluctant to change display. It is understandable, as upgrade requires a major change in software, which is not their expertise.
Another barrier to upgrade is the cost, as most applications use low-end MCU to drive monochrome LCD, but to drive color TFT LCD a high-end MCU is required, which can be a major cost to any product.
Bolymin BTC series with a built-in control board is designed to overcome these challenges. It allows a smooth upgrade of 240128 monochrome LCD to 4.3” or 5” TFT LCD or 320240 monochrome LCD to 5.6” Color TFT LCD.
BTC Series allows the customer to upgrade their current monochrome LCD to any size between 4.3” ~ 15” TFT LCD.
What are the advantages of the Bolymin BTC TFT LCD Series with a built-in control board?
- It doesn’t require the customer to upgrade their low-end MCU (PIC, 8051, AVR, etc.) to high-end MCH like ARM.
- Since BTC series use the same interface monochrome LCD, they are easily replaceable.
- The software requires only minor changes and Bolymin provides guidelines for the same.
- Product managers can dramatically cut down their design time.
- With quick design time and minimum changes, time-to-market is much faster.
- TFT has no crosstalk issues and better response time compared to monochrome LCDs.
- TFT LCDs can also be used as monochrome displays depending on the application.
- At an average, the cost of the upgrading to TFT LCD is around 20% more compared to the current design but the value it provides in terms of more functionality is 100%.
BC2004H is 20×04 Character COB (Chip on board) LCD Display Module with metal frame. It is a High-Contrast FSTN (Film Compensated STN) and comes with built-in controller SSD1803. It has 4-bit and 8-bit and serial SPI-interface options.
BC2004H offers built-in icons (arrows, timer, message etc.).
Bolymin offers more than 100 standard TFT Modules in its catalog and also offer customization service. TFT Coding system is designed to help the customer look for the right part number based on their requirements.
Standard TFT sizes range from 0.96” to 10.1”
LEDs are flat panel displays that emit visible light when an electric current passes through the light-emitting diodes. Bolymin LED Display Module consists of LED Display, PCB, IC and it is connected through the SPI interface. Compared to LCD displays LED displays are brighter, have a wider viewing angle and visible from a greater distance. However, the downside is they are resource-hungry.
TAB (Tape Automated Bonding) also known as TCP (tape carrier package) and COF (chip-on-film) are both IC packaging technology and produced by reel to reel method. It utilizes FPC (flexible printed circuit film) for packaging IC chips.